Last Updated: March 31, 2019
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
How we collect and store information depends on how you access and use the Platform. We collect information in multiple ways, including when you provide information directly to us, when you permit third parties to provide information to us, and when we passively collect information from you, such as information collected from your browser or device.
Information You Provide Directly to Us. We may collect information from you during your use or access of the Platform, such as:
- When you register for an Account;
- When you participate in polls or surveys;
- When you request a quote or other information;
- When you submit or respond to a quote;
- When you make a purchase;
- When you fill out any forms;
- When you transmit User Content;
- When you download or use one of our mobile applications; or
- When you otherwise communicate with us or other users through the Platform.
The information you provide directly to us may concern you or others and may include, but is not limited to: (a) name; (b) zip code; (c) email address; (d) home or business telephone number; (e) home, business or mailing address; (f) demographic information (e.g., gender, age, political preference, education, race or ethnic origin, and other information relevant to user surveys and/or offers); (g) date of birth; (h) insurance information; (i) photographs; (j) information about your request or need; (k) video or audio files; (l) in certain circumstances, payment and/or identity verification information; and/or (m) any other content you include in communications with other users through the Platform or communications with us. It may also include information specific to services you are requesting or offering through the Platform, such as a business name, service description, qualifications and credentials. You are not required to provide us with such information, but certain features of the Platform may not be accessible or available, absent the provision of the requested information.
Information from Affiliates, Social Networking Sites, and other Non-affiliated Third Parties. We may collect information about you or others through Car Swaddle affiliates or through non-affiliated third parties. For example, you may be able to access the Platform through a social networking account, such as Facebook. If you access the Platform through your Facebook account, you may allow us to have access to certain information in your Facebook profile. This may include your name, profile picture, gender, networks, user IDs, list of friends, location, date of birth, email address, photos, videos, people you follow and/or who follow you, and/or your posts or “likes.”
Social networking sites, such as Facebook, have their own policies for handling your information. For a description of how these sites may use and disclose your information, including any information you make public, please consult the sites’ privacy policies. We have no control over how any third-party site uses or discloses the personal information it collects about you.
We may collect information about you or others through non-affiliated third parties. For example, to the extent permitted by law, we may, in our sole discretion, ask for and collect supplemental information from third parties, such as information about your credit from a credit bureau, or information to verify your identity or trustworthiness, or for other fraud or safety protection purposes. We may combine information that we collect from you through the Platform with information that we obtain from such third parties and information derived from any other products or services we provide.
Information That is Passively or Automatically Collected
Location Information. When you use the Platform, we may collect general location information (such as IP address). If you install our mobile app, we may ask you to grant us access to your mobile device’s geolocation data. If you grant such permission, we may collect information about your precise geolocation, and we may use that information to improve the Platform, including providing you with location-based features (e.g. for identification of Services available near you). To deliver customized content and advertising, we may share your location information with our agents, vendors, or advertisers. If you access the Platform through a mobile device and you do not want your device to provide us with location-tracking information, you can disable the GPS or other location-tracking functions on your device, provided your device allows you to do this. See your device manufacturer’s instructions for further details. If you disable certain functions, you may be unable to use certain parts of the Platform.
We may also use local shared objects (also known as “Flash cookies”) to assist in delivering special content, such as video clips or animation. Flash cookies are stored on your device, but they are not managed through your web browser.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but your browser may allow you to modify your browser settings to decline cookies if you prefer. If you disable cookies, you may be prevented from taking full advantage of the Platform, because it may not function properly. Flash cookies operate differently than browser cookies, and cookie management tools available in a web browser may not affect flash cookies. As we adopt additional technologies, we may also gather additional information through other methods.
HOW CAR SWADDLE USES THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may use your information for any of the following reasons:
- For the purposes for which you provided it;
- To enable you to use the services available through the Platform, including registering you for our services and verifying your identity and authority to use our services;
- For customer support and to respond to your inquiries;
- For internal record-keeping purposes;
- To track fees and process billing and payment including sharing with third-party payment gateways and payment service providers in connection with the Platform;
- To improve and maintain the Platform and for product development;
- To address fraud or safety concerns, or to investigate complaints or suspected fraud or wrongdoing;
- To periodically send promotional emails regarding new products from Car Swaddle, special offers from Car Swaddle, or other information that may interest you;
- With your consent, to contact you by text message regarding certain services or information you have requested;
- With your consent, to contact you by telephone or text message regarding Platform features, improvements, or other products and services that may interest you;
- For Car Swaddle’s market research purposes, including, but not limited to, the customization of the Platform according to your interests;
- To contact you about goods and services that may interest you or with information about your use of the Platform;
- For other research and analytical purposes; and
- To resolve disputes, to protect ourselves and other users of the Platform, and to enforce any legal terms that govern your use of the Platform.
We may display information related to your business, including your name or your business’s name, publicly on your profile, except to the extent we tell you we will not display such information. If the information you provide us upon signing up for an account differs from the information you provide us as part of the verification data we collect, we have sole discretion in determining which information will be displayed publicly on your profile.
We may combine information that we collect from you through the Platform with information that we obtain from affiliated and nonaffiliated third parties, and information derived from any other products or services we provide.
We may aggregate and/or de-identify information collected through the Platform. We may use de-identified or aggregated data for any purpose, including without limitation for research and marketing purposes and may also share such data with any third parties, including without limitation, advertisers, promotional partners, sponsors, event promoters, and/or others.
We may, either directly or through third parties we engage to provide services to us, review, scan, or analyze your communications with other users exchanged via the Platform or as otherwise described in this Policy for fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, we may scan and analyze messages to prevent fraud or improper actions. We may also scan, review or analyze messages for research and product development purposes, as well as to debug, improve and expand product offerings. By using the Platform or engaging in off-Platform communications tracked by Car Swaddle, you consent that Car Swaddle, in its sole discretion, may, either directly or through third parties we engage to provide services to us, review, scan, analyze, and store your communications, whether done manually or through automated means.
WHEN CAR SWADDLE DISCLOSES YOUR INFORMATION
Unless otherwise described in this Policy, we may also share the information that we collect from you through the Platform as follows:
- Affiliates. We may share your information with any Car Swaddle affiliates.
- Service Providers. We may provide access to your information to select third parties who perform services on our behalf. These third parties provide a variety of services to us including without limitation billing, sales, marketing, advertising, market research, fulfillment, data storage, analysis and processing, identity verification, fraud and safety protection and legal services. As we retain new service providers, we generally seek contractual assurances from these service providers that they will not use your information in any manner other than to help us provide you with the services and products available from Car Swaddle.
- Legal Requirements. We may disclose your information when required by law or when we believe in good faith that such disclosure is necessary to: (a) comply with subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process we receive; (b) establish or exercise our legal rights including enforcing and administering agreements with users; or (c) defend Car Swaddle against legal claims. If we are required by law to disclose your information, we will use commercially reasonable efforts to notify you unless (1) we believe in our sole discretion that providing notice could create a risk of injury or death, or that harm or fraud could be directed to Car Swaddle or users; or (2) we are precluded from providing notice by law. We will attempt to provide the notice by email if you have given us an email address. While you may challenge the disclosure request, please be advised we may still be legally required to turn over your information.
- Business Transfers. As we continue to develop our business, we may sell, buy, merge or partner with other companies or businesses, or sell some or all of our assets. In such contemplated or actual transactions or where there is any change of control of Car Swaddle, user information may be among the shared and/or transferred assets.
- App Store Providers. We may provide your identity and mobile device identifier to third-party app store providers (for example, the Apple App Store) to allow you to download our mobile apps.
- Academics and Research. We may provide information about users to third parties for academic and research purposes, in anonymized or aggregated form.
Please be advised that some information you provide and/or that we collect will be publicly accessible. For instance, registration for an Account requires that you provide us with your name. If you register through Facebook, the Platform will use the name associated with your Facebook account. Your name (full name, or in some instances, your first name and last initial) may be visible to other users. Depending on the circumstances, your name may be attached to your Content or information, such as scheduling of Services, service requests, reviews, participating in discussions or forums, messaging, and profile information. Certain other people, including other users with whom you have interacted via the Platform, will see information about you that is attached to your name. For example (but without limitation), if you are a Customer Member seeking Services, the description you provide of your desired services, along with your name, will be shown to some Pro Members registered in the relevant category along with your name. Thus, other users may be able to personally identify you based on Content you provide. Similarly, the information we collect, including but not limited to when you last accessed the Platform, may be shared with other Members with whom you are interacting or otherwise made public.
We invite you to post Content on or through our Platform, including, but not limited to, your comments, pictures, Service Member profile, and any other information. However, please be careful and responsible whenever you are online. If you choose to post User Content on or through the Platform, such as through Member-to-Member messaging or through our review boards, forums, blogs, or other postings, that information: (a) may be or may become publicly available; (b) may be collected and used by third parties with or without our knowledge; and (c) may be used in a manner that may violate this Policy, the law, or your personal privacy.
ONLINE ANALYTICS AND TAILORED ADVERTISING
Analytics. We may use third-party web analytics services on the Platform. The information collected by the technology will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers, who use the information to evaluate your use of the Platform.
When using a mobile application you may also receive tailored in-application advertising content. Each operating system-iOS for Apple devices, Android for Android devices, and Windows for Microsoft devices-provides its own instructions on how to prevent the delivery of tailored in-application marketing content. You may review the support materials and/or the privacy settings for the respective operating systems in order to opt-out of tailored in-application advertising. For any other devices and/or operating systems, please visit the privacy settings for the applicable device or contact the applicable platform operator.
CALIFORNIA DO-NOT-TRACK DISCLOSURE
Car Swaddle is committed to providing you with meaningful choices about the information collected on our Platform for third party purposes. Car Swaddle, however, does not currently recognize or respond to browser-initiated Do-Not-Track signals, as the Internet industry is currently still working on Do-Not-Track standards, implementations and solutions.
PRIVACY OF MINORS
Our Services are not designed for minors under 18. Only persons 18 years of age or older may use the Platform. If we discover that an individual under 18 has provided us with personal information, we will close the account and delete the personal information to the extent required by the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act. We may, where permitted by law, retain certain information internally for purposes described in this Policy.
We employ physical, procedural and technological security measures to help protect your personal information from unauthorized access or disclosure. Car Swaddle may use encryption, passwords, and physical security measures to help protect your personal information against unauthorized access and disclosure. No security measures, however, are 100% failsafe. Therefore, we do not promise and cannot guarantee, and thus you should not expect, that your personal information or communications will not be collected, disclosed and/or used by others. You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, keeping your log-in and password private, and not recycling passwords from other websites or accounts. Car Swaddle is not responsible for the unauthorized use of your information nor for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords, or for any activity on your Account via unauthorized password activity.
LINKS TO EXTERNAL PLATFORMS
The Platform may contain links to other websites or resources over which Car Swaddle does not have any control. Such links do not constitute an endorsement by Car Swaddle of those external websites. You acknowledge that Car Swaddle is providing these links to you only as a convenience, and further agree that Car Swaddle is not responsible for the content of such external websites or the protection and privacy of information you provide while visiting such external websites.
UPDATING, DELETING, AND CORRECTING YOUR INFORMATION
YOUR CHOICES REGARDING EMAIL COMMUNICATIONS
We may send periodic emails to you. You may opt out of promotional emails by following the opt-out instructions contained in the email. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt out of receiving emails about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you emails about your Account or any services you have requested or received from us.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
THIS POLICY IS CURRENT AS OF THE EFFECTIVE DATE SET FORTH ABOVE. CAR SWADDLE MAY, IN ITS SOLE AND ABSOLUTE DISCRETION, CHANGE THIS POLICY AT ANY TIME. CAR SWADDLE WILL POST ITS UPDATED POLICY ON THE PLATFORM, SEND YOU A MESSAGE OR OTHERWISE NOTIFY YOU WHEN YOU ARE LOGGED INTO YOUR ACCOUNT. CAR SWADDLE ENCOURAGES YOU TO REVIEW THIS POLICY REGULARLY FOR ANY CHANGES. YOUR CONTINUED ACCESS TO OR USE OF THE PLATFORM WILL BE SUBJECT TO THE TERMS OF THE THEN-CURRENT POLICY.
CONSENT TO TRANSFER
Our computer systems are currently based in the United States, so your personal data will be processed by us in the United States, where data protection and privacy regulations may not offer the same level of protection as in other parts of the world. If you create an Account with the Platform as a visitor from outside the United States, by using the Platform, you agree to this Policy and you consent to the transfer of all such information to the United States, which may not offer a level of protection equivalent to that required in the European Union or certain other countries, and to the processing of that information as described in this Policy.